Net models are all the rage these days. Admittedly, a lot of people think that they have what it takes to become one, but net models have to be of a certain standard, just like any other type. It can be a bit of a joke these days – a lot of people think they’re an Instagram model just for having an account, for example. But there’s also very real potential to have a very real career!
You have the power to carve out your own path. That means that net models don’t actually have to wait for an agency to snap them up, or for a chance of being spotted out of the blue. There’s really a potential with net models to fill their own niche.
How Do You Become One?
To become an Internet model, there are a variety of paths you can take. If you have a friend who’s into photography, perhaps you could do a couple of test shoots with them. A lot of net models get their start by asking a talented contact to shoot them, and then taking it from there. Analyse how you look on camera, and be realistic about your potential.
A lot of net models approach things differently; for example, they find social media fame first. Once they’re got an Instagram following or a lot of readers on their fashion blog, they then become net models by default. Perhaps they’re approached by brands to represent their clothing, or maybe a beauty brand needs a new face. There’s a lot of scope for net models out there!
The final way to find Internet fame as a model is to become a model through ordinary channels, and then use the Internet to promote yourself. A lot of glamour models take this route, because a lot of this work is undertaken online through modelling for subscriptions and so on.
Of course, there are other ways to model online, but please be aware that some of these can be risky. If applying for a job posing to be specifically for Internet models to boost their presence or build a portfolio, there can unfortunately be some people prepared to exploit you. Take great caution, and don’t give out any personal or private information. Always check credentials, and if you’re uncomfortable, don’t proceed. Some things – for example taking your clothes off – are personal decisions for legal adults, but if it’s not the right choice for you, don’t do it.
Why Would A Model Choose Internet Modelling?
There are loads of great reasons net models have for doing what they do! Some of the best are:
- A place to find your niche, no matter your shape or size or ‘look’.
- A total freedom to choose your own schedules.
- Many net models find fame online!
- There can be top fees to those models with the most talent and potential.
- A lack of start up costs.
- No commission to an agent.
- The chance to be in control of your own projects.
- You can set your own rates of pay.
However, you need to remember that:
- You’ll have to find your own work – this can be tough. Do you have contacts? An online persona?
- You’ll have to organise and pay for lots of marketing materials.
- You’ll need to be the one to handle meetings and field calls.
- Finances can become complicated. You’ll have to chase invoices and manage your own taxes.
- You’ll have to ensure your own personal safety.
In the long run, net models can be seen to be living the dream, but it can be different for everyone. Do you think it could work for you?