Becoming a successful model takes a lot more than just sitting pretty. Whether you are working with photographers or walking the catwalk, you will need to know the key to model posing if you want to boost your chances of a profitable career.
We’ve come up with 5 top tips to help you perfect your poses.
1. A trick of the light. Studio lighting will affect your poses and can be the difference between a great shot and a complete fail. A poorly placed arm or hand could cast shadows across your face or body. Once a photographer has set the light meter you will need to do your best to stay still so as not to disrupt the settings.
2. Use your limbs. When it comes to creating a slender silhouette it is important to understand how to use your arms to your advantage. Creating space between your arms and your body will help slim the appearance of your arms and upper body. Similarly, look at your legs. Crossing one knee in front of the other slightly will create a flattering curve. Avoid standing with your legs too straight or clamped together if you are wearing trousers.
3. A helping hand. Avoid posing with flat hands as they will look broad and bulky. A small twist to show your hands side on is all it takes to enhance the final image. Spread your fingers a little and set them at an angle.
4. Heads up. Make the most of your head and shoulders when posing. Roll your shoulders back to elongate your neck, and then tilt your jaw slightly towards the camera for a strong line. Finally, remember your eyes. Don’t glare or squint and try to maintain a central eye line.
5. Mirror, mirror on the wall. Now you have mastered the basics, the best thing you can do is practice, practice and practice some more, and that is where your mirror comes in handy! Try to remember that what you see in the mirror is what a photographer or audience will see when they look at you.
As a model, your job is to showcase a client’s products or services so keep the outfit, accessory or specific product at the heart of everything you do. In addition to learning the best techniques remember that the clothes you are wearing will make a big difference to the shapes you make with your body so practice in a variety of outfits. Whether you are there to show off handbags, shoes, make up or jewellery, always ensure that the product is fully visible and is the hero of the shot or catwalk.
UK Models can advise you on how to pose in photographic sessions but to summarise, the key points to remember are:
- Show off the outfit or product.
- Maintain a natural eye line, don’t glare or over rotate your eyes.
- Think about your posture.
- Create asymmetrical lines with your limbs.
- Keep moving.